Tuesday, July 2, 2013

.

Week 49--
 
I am SO SORRY I DIDN'T KEEP MY WORD about writing my blog post yesterday! But here it is! Week 49!
 
On September 2, 2012 I met a wonderful woman at Mass, Rosario, who became a fast friend. On that very day I wrote:
 
"...Furthermore, tonight at Mass I was asked to help with the collection. Another lady was helping, and when we met in the back she said something to me rápidamente (quickly) in Spanish, so I had to explain to her that I only know “un pocito” (a little) of the language. After Mass she came up to me and asked me where I was from, where I was studying, and if I had many friends. She was so excited for me! She then took me over and introduced me to another girl my age, gave me her email address, and said to contact her if I ever need anything at all. I talked to the girl for a bit, and the priest and other young people invited me to their youth group afterwards. I am going to attend next week."
 
Sidenote: The "lady" in this ^ passage is Rosario.
 
Looking back on this passage, two main thoughts come to mind:
 
1) Speaking to myself: Oh my gosh, Courtney... "pocito" is not spelled like that! It's spelled "poquito!" YOU WERE SUCH A NEWBEEEEE! (How do you spell newbee? Noobee? Nubi?) Anyways... I guess I wasn't lying when I told her I only know a pocito... I mean poquito... of Spanish.
 
2. THANK YOU, GOD, FOR ROSARIO! The "youth group" that the priest and young people invited me to, which all started with Rosario's kind heart and introduction, is filled with those who have become some of my dearest friends here. It is incredible seeing how everything has worked out. I know as the date of my departure quickly approaches, and especially as I am reflecting on my time here when I am back stateside, I will continue to realize even more of the many gifts I have been given here. I could not be more thankful.
 
So... last week I emailed Rosario because I hadn't seen or talked to her in a while, and I told her that I would love to meet up with her to chat and say goodbye. Next thing I know, her and her husband are taking me out to dinner in Carrasco, to a lovely restaurant, in which they order me the most delicious chicken, papas a la suiza, and strawberries and creme for dessert, and during which we enjoy wonderful, constant conversation. During dinner, we laughed about our meeting back in September and about how my Uruguayan story has unfolded from there. Their hospitality and kindness is a true reflection of how I know the Lord wants me to treat others. Entonces... muchas gracias, Rosario y Julio, por todo! Uds. son muy buenos amigos y estoy re agradecida que Dios los pusiera en mi camino en el Uruguay.
 
Una cena impresionante con personas aún más impresionantes.
 
This week I finished my last week of classes! This semester absolutely flew by... I cannot believe it is already over. Now it is on to exams! Woo!
 

Final day of class. Final exam for Production.
 
On Friday night, I spent the night at my friend Flor's house with some other girl friends. We went out to eat at the cutest 50's-USA-style restaurant and ate the yummiest cheese fries and chivitos... Unfortunately, I was exhausted and after talking for a bit and watching an episode of Friends, I fell faaaast asleep. But that's okay, because I needed to be well rested for what was to come on Saturday! (Stay tuned.) While spending time with these girls, I was once again reminded of the hospitality of all of my Uruguayan friends. Flor had made us a mandarin orange cake for breakfast, her mom had baked us a carrot-dulce de leche-meringue cake, and they made toast and cut up little cheese for us. Just so above-and-beyond without even thinking twice about it which is something I very much value about the people I have met here. It is a way of living I want to take back with me, as I hope to integrate it into my own life.
 

Amigitas en la pijama party!
Fallen pyramid.
Buen desayuno para caminar bien.
 
The moment you've all been waiting for...Saturday! -- I have made myself a list: "Things to do before I leave Uruguay." On this list was (emphasis on was cuz now it's crossed off!) ...was walk the whole rambla from Carrasco until Ciudad Vieja. To give you an idea of the distance... this is what the rambla looks like on a map (click the link). And we did it!!! It took us 5+ hours... but we did it!!! We walked the rambla!!! ...pausing to take pictures, buy food, and ride the pirate ship at the local amusement park, of course! I am so grateful to have friends who don't think I'm crazy and who are willing to be crazy with me. It was a gorgeous day, and I loved taking in the River, Montevideo, and the all of the time spent with special friends. Things I will miss :( but am happy to have experienced :)
 
About to head out! Nike4LYfeWUTevarr
Haciendo ejercicio mientras que hacemos ejercicio.
Woo!
Gawgeous Punta Gorda.
Swings.
This reminds me of It Takes Two. (The canoe scene for all you Mk&A fans out there...)
"Careful with the dog under the bridge!"
Pirate ship!
Made it!
 
Sorry this blog post jumps around all over the place! Como sea, hope you enjoyed it...
 
...Also, heads up: The next blog post, week 50, will be written on Monday. I am going to be visiting the botanical garden and some pretty churches throughout the day on Sunday and then spending the night at a friend's apartment, so I will therefore not have time to sit down and properly write out my week. Thank you for being understanding!
 
Hope all is well wherever you may be--
 
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment